About this Subject
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Describe the principles of the operations of a computer.
- Identify and discuss the functions of the main hardware components of a computer.
- Describe the main functions of an operating system and the role of utility software.
- Differentiate between the main types of computer networks, be able to explain the purpose of the major network components and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different data communication media.
- Analyse and specify the hardware requirements for a simple system.
- Identify the different types of Ecommerce, describe how they are used and outline their advantages and disadvantages.
- Analyse a simple problem and develop a spreadsheet to model the problem.
- Design and construct basic web pages using HTML and style sheets.
- Develop and interpret simple database tables, queries and reports.
- Identify and discuss relatively clear-cut ethical issues related to Information Technology.
- The main hardware units of the computer; how they work, how they are interconnected and how processing is controlled in the computer.
- Input and output devices.
- How data is stored internally and externally.
- Comparison of storage media.
- Introduction to multiprocessing and multiprogramming computers.
- Introduction to telecommunications.
- Introduction to system software, including operating systems.
- Web page construction.
- E Commerce.